Yummy, Easy Recipes for Travel
While travelers might prefer to stay out of the kitchen while on vacation, cooking simple meals is something families should considering doing to save money and event time. Most hotels only feature a mini-fridge and microwave causing families to end up spending a large chunk of their budget eating out for every meal. But the good news for our clients is that many SmarTravel accommodations across the U.S. and the Caribbean offer kitchenettes or full-sized kitchens that families can use to prepare some meals in-house. Utilize these spaces and save more money for future vacations by whipping up some quick, affordable meals before heading out the door. Need some inspiration? We’re here to help with quick recipes for every meal!
Breakfast: Egg Sandwiches
Yield: 6 servings
Ready in 30 minutes
6 strips of bacon
I package (6) bagels or English muffins
6 large eggs
6 slices of American cheese
½ cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray (or melt better); warm over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir with fork or whisk until mixture is a pale yellow color.
- Pour ½ cup egg mixture into skillet, let set for approximately 30 seconds or until bottom starts to set.
- While waiting on eggs to cook, toast lightly buttered bagel or muffin.
- Using a spatula, gently push one edge of the egg into center of the pan so uncooked egg can reach bottom of the skillet. Repeat 8-10 times around skillet, titled as necessary for 1 – 1 ½ minutes. Shape egg into circle/oval; flip to cook both sides.
- Once egg is cooked, but not brown, remove from skillet and place onto bagel or muffin. Add 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of bacon.
- Repeat steps 3 – 6 until all ingredients have been used.
These delicious sandwiches give you fuel to start your day. Make them before an activity-packed itinerary – like hiking!
Lunch: Basic Pasta Salad
Yield: 12 servings
Ready in 30 minutes
1 (16 oz) package of uncooked rotini pasta
1 (16 oz) bottle Italian salad dressing
¼ cup parmesan cheese
2 cucumbers – chopped
1 container (16 oz) cherry tomatoes – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Place pasta in the pot, cook for 8 – 12 minutes until done.
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with Italian dressing and parmesan cheese.
- Add in cucumbers and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
This recipe is perfect to eat while taking a break from the sun and sand. The best part – you can add in other favorite ingredients such as olives, onions or even chicken! Do some research ahead of your trip to see if your vacation destination has any local farmer’s markets nearby to get ingredients that are truly fresh.
Dinner: Beef Taquitos
Serves 4-6 people
Ready in 25 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing on taquitos
3/4 lb lean ground beef
1 packet (1.25 oz) taco seasoning
10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salsa and sour cream for dipping
- Heat the oven to 400°. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef and use wooden spoon or spatula to break it up into small pieces while it cooks. Cook 10-12 minutes, until browned.
- Drain beef and return to skillet. Add taco seasoning as directed on package.
- Heat tortillas in skillet for 30 seconds on each side or until warm. Top each tortilla with ¼ cup of seasoned beef, spreading it an inch from the edges. Sprinkle cheese evenly over beef.
- Roll up the tortillas and place on lightly greased baking sheet with the seam sides down. Brush taquitos lightly with vegetable oil. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until filling is heating throughout and tortillas are lightly browned.
- Serve hot with salsa and/or sour cream for dipping.
This dinner recipe is quick and easy to make, but it won’t last long on the table! Feel free to add onions or peppers to spice things up!
Don’t stress about budgeting for expensive meals! Instead, enjoy quality time cooking with your travel companions with these simple, delicious recipes during your next vacation. Check out our featured SmarTravel destinations to start planning a trip!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]