Packing the family car for an upcoming vacation can be a daunting task, but with these easy steps and tips, you’ll be sure to add a little room along with more comfort for all family members traveling. SmarTravel vacation destinations can be just a road trip away, so you can book that vacation now!
- Pack smart: Try to consolidate by co-packing as many items as possible. One great tip is stacking a complete outfit together – top, pants, underwear, socks – and packing into a zip-lock bag. Dirty items can go directly back into the bag. Additionally, try to pack lights clothes with one warm sweatshirt/pants set. You can always do a load of laundry and re-wear an outfit versus packing an additional that takes up more room.
- Pack the car efficiently: Prior to starting, clean out the interior and trunk/cargo area and get rid of everything that is not needed for this specific trip. A lot of families find it easiest to pack the car the night before you leave since it can take longer than expected. Always remember last in, first out.
- Have these few items within easy reach: Think a cooler with snacks and drinks that can be easily accessed. Be sure to keep a trash bag to gather the accumulated wrappers and junk. Packing supplies like paper plates or bowls, plastic utensils, napkins and more may come in handy. Also, be sure to pack any other “on the way” items so you won’t have to unload the whole trunk each time you stop en route in order to find something. Most SmarTravel accommodations feature a kitchenette, so unused snack items won’t go to waste.
- Plan the packing out: Packing the car can be somewhat like a logic puzzle. If you lay out the items on the lawn prior to starting, you can think it out. If something isn’t working, be willing to admit it doesn’t fit and try a new way. Husbands and wives can experience a battle of the sexes when it comes to packing a car, so choose the most organized person to lead the way.
- Use hidden space: Remember to utilize the space under seats, in the consoles along the sides of the car and even the middle console.
- Consider adding a roof rack or storage for added space: As you begin the packing process with every family member’s luggage, you will soon find the car walls caving in. Larger items like strollers, bikes or suitcases may fit best in a separate storage unit on top or back of the car to save some space.
Every family wants a great vacation filled with fun memories. It always benefits to plan ahead and research packing tips. We hope that these offer a bit of insights and help you get started.
Happy vacationing! For more information, please visit SmarTravel’s website.